Saturday 14 May 2011

Naan Pizzas



This was my first lunch after the challenge.  I didn't want to buy something convenient to eat, I wanted to use my renewed interest in making food at home and make something.  Using a mixture of fresh, frozen and tinned food, I came up with...


Naan Pizzas




Makes enough for 4 people (3 "Pizzas" each)

Ingredients:

1 tbsp Olive Oil (I ran out so used Corn Oil)
1 Red Onion, diced
3 Cloves of Garlic, crushed (peeled) and sliced
1 tin Chopped Tomatoes (I used Sargona Spicy Toms from Lidl)
A little Water to rinse tomato tin
1 tsp Sugar
160g Sweetcorn (Iceland Frozen)
Basil and Oregano to taste (dried)
6 Mini Plain Naan (one packet from Sainsbury's)
Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
Halloumi Cheese, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Black Pepper

Method:

1.  Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.  Put in the onions and fry until soft.  Add the garlic.

2.  Open the tomatoes and pour in, put some water in and swoosh around to "rinse" the can and pour into sauce mix.  I found the sauce a bit too spicy for me so sweetened with sugar.

3.  Let it simmer and reduce slightly.

4.  Pour in the sweetcorn (if frozen, make sure it is cooked).

5.  Put as much basil and oregano as you like.  I prefer to put in more basil to oregano.

You can switch off the heat now and let the sauce cool slightly.  It is now the time to make your pizzas! 

6.  Put the grill on.

7.  Pop the naan into your toaster so that the outside is starting to crisp and the inside is steamed.  You can now split into two easily with a knife but be careful since they are fragile.

8.  Place naan halves inside up and lightly grill to remove moisture (this will stop pizzas being soggy).

9.  Spoon 1 dsp -1 tbsp of sauce mix onto each naan half.  Sprinkle cheddar and arrange halloumi.


Before they soak up the rays
Basking in the glow

10.  Grill until the halloumi starts to pop and blister.

11.  Finish with a drizzle of e.v olive oil and freshly ground pepper.


Done


Review:

I really enjoyed these!  My carnivorous brother commented how these were nice as well.  I didn't add any salt since I had cheese and halloumi is quite salty.  I will cover the edges with sauce and cheese so the bread doesn't get too burnt next time.

 
One more for prosperity!

No comments:

Post a Comment