Wednesday 27 July 2011

Chickpea Salad

Salads needn't be boring.  I haven't had one for a while but I was determined to use things lying about the place and not buy anything in especially.  This gave me a challenge of sorts to use up things that I had.  I was actually inspired by  How to Make Bento The video is sugoi!  It is a bit much for me but I will take on small tips at a time and that video made me salt my cucumber!

I have also taken up Waitrose on their 3 for 2 offer on herbs and spices to try something new.  My cupboard now has kalonji seeds (I first saw this as an ingredient in naan bread) celery salt (I've made a Bloody Mary before without this so I can now make an authentic one) and some garlic granules in order to make some epic potato wedges.


  

This makes 2 portions.

Ingredients:

Salad:
1 tomato, deseeded and cubed
Put as much or as little of the following:
Chunk of cucumber, peeled and cubed
Salt
200g chickpeas (half a tin, drained)
Some cubed carrot
Some cubed red pepper
Some cooked sweetcorn niblets

For the dressing:
Lemon juice
Celery salt
Black pepper
Kalonji seeds

Method:

1. I put the tomato and cucumber in a dish and I ah salted them!  Leave for a bit (I left them in the fridge overnight).  You will get a lovely pool of liquid to pour off.  No more watery salads!

2. Put in the other ingredients in varying proportions.

3. Season with the dressing ingredients to your taste. 

Review:

I really enjoyed making and eating this.  I'm a salad cream girl and I was going to squirt it all over my salad and mix it about but luckily I tasted my food first and decided it tasted good enough without the salad cream.

My Mum boiled some potatoes the next day so I cubed them and added it to the second portion of salad.

I don't normally eat cubed carrots in salad, I prefer it grated but had some leftover carrot sticks with nothing to dip them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment