Sunday 7 August 2011

Celery Slaw

Cheese and celery dressed generously in mayonnaise and black pepper inside a buttered crusty baguette.  I didn't have any bread so I decided to make a sort of coleslaw with celery.  I have heard of celery slaw but have never made it before so here is something I made.

I just want to thank Sue, my childhood best friend's mum.  She helped inspire me to cook.  Sue put sultanas in her homemade coleslaw and that is the magic ingredient that sets her coleslaw apart from the shop bought kind.




Makes 2 portions

Ingredients:

2 stalks of celery, destringed and chopped
1 large carrot, grated
50g extra mature cheddar, chopped small
A handful of sultanas
A squeeze of lemon juice
3 tbsp mayonnaise (I like my full fat Hellmann's)
A few shakes of kalonji seeds
Black pepper

Method:

Just add ingredients into a bowl and mix.  I was probably too generous with the mayonnaise but adjust to your taste.

Review:

A traditional coleslaw has some onion in it.  I didn't want to faff around crying and chopping an onion so I put in my new fancy ingredient; kalonji seeds instead and it added a nice savoury onioniness to the salad.  I ate this for two lunches in a row served with some Choice Grain crackers.  The carrots made the mayonnaise go an orangy colour which makes it look like you made the dressing yourself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment