Sunday 6 January 2013

Garlic and Rosemary Potato Wedges


 I have an abundance of potatoes to use up that I bought for the Christmas meal.  I wanted something moreish and simple.  I had cooked garlic and rosemary roast potatoes for Christmas and still had that fresh (or not quite as fresh) rosemary to use up.  I took out all the possible potato wedges seasonings from my cupboard.  These included: garlic salt, Cajun seasoning, oregano, rosemary, celery salt and chilli powder.  In the end, I settled on fresh rosemary and fresh garlic with salt & pepper.

The only bit of research I needed was the oven temperature and how long to bake them for.  Jamie Oliver came up first but he /gasp par boils them first!  Wedges are supposed to be simple and oven cooked.  You might as well make roasties if you're going to parboil them.  Then I stumbled upon a student recipe website: http://studentrecipes.com/recipes/party-foods/potato-wedges/

Makes...loads!

Ingredients:

Potatoes (I happened to have King Edwards and they worked well)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (this was the only Olive oil in my house)
4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary, stalks removed
8 cloves of fresh Garlic, squashed, deskinned and roughly chopped
Plenty of Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper

Method:

1. Wash the potatoes and cut into wedges.  I do this by halving them lengthways (biggest surface area as possible) then quartering each half lengthways (8 wedges per large potato).  The potatoes were extremely starchy so I soaked them in cold water.

Cold bath

2. Drain the potatoes.  Meanwhile get a large baking tray/roasting tin and drizzle oil on the base.  Apply half the rosemary and garlic bits.  Place the potato wedges evenly in one layer as possible.  Liberally apply salt and pepper.  Sprinkle the rest of the rosemary and garlic and slug more oil on top.


3. Cook at 200C for 40 mins.  I turned them over halfway.

Serve with lemon mayonnaise.

Review:
Hmmm, these were really good!  I ate waaaaay too many.  Minor improvements would be more even cooking which would require uniform potatoes.  I did have some parts of the tray with more oil than other parts.  I think the wedges would benefit from a proper tossing in the oil and seasonings!
Note to self:  Make these instead of roast potatoes for Christmas because they were so much more simpler to make and tastier too!

No comments:

Post a Comment