Tuesday 8 January 2013

Blueberry and Orange Muffins


Traditionally it is lemon and blueberry muffins but I wanted to be different.  Muffins are simple and easy to make.

Makes 12 Muffins

Ingredients:

300g Self Raising Flour
100g Caster Sugar
1tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
175ml Soy Milk
125ml Corn Oil
1 Egg
The peel of 1 Orange, grated
150g - 200g Fresh Blueberries (plus 12 for decorating)

Method:

1.  Wash blueberries and let them dry.  Take 1 tsp flour and put to one side.
2.  Grate an orange and finely chop the zest.  I think using the zest setting releases too many oils and I prefer bigger bits of orange.

3.  I didn't sift my flour this time because my sieve was acting as a colander for my blueberries.  It didn't make much difference.  Great time saving tip!
Add baking powder, sugar and salt.  Stir thoroughly.

4.  Measure the milk and oil into a measuring jug, add egg and beat together. Add the orange peel.

5.  Fan oven on, heat to 170c.
Line the muffin tin with 2 paper cases for each hole.  In a bowl, mix the 1tsp flour with the blueberries.  Then tip this into the flour/sugar/salt/powder bowl.
When the oven is hot enough, you can mix the wet and dry ingredients together.  I did this by putting the liquid into a bowl and then tipping the dry ingredients.  Combine until just mixed, do not over-stir.

6.  Spoon evenly between cases.  Apply a blueberry on top.  Bake for 20-25mins.



Review:

I think orange worked well.  I will experiment with putting some of the juice into the muffin mix next time.  I love how the blueberries bleed, they create a gorgeous marbling effect on top.  The great thing about home baking is that it is custom made and this one is bursting with blueberries!




No comments:

Post a Comment